I Can See Clearly Now
His appointment with his Audiologist was at 1 p.m. He knew he was having trouble hearing because he kept asking people to repeat themselves.
After a series of tests the Audiologist informed him that his diagnosis was that he was suffering from a combination of both conductive and sensorineural hearing loss. That this loss could be caused by factors affecting his mother during his birth, genetics, head injuries, infections including Meningitis, aging, and excessive noise exposure. The prognosis was not good. He could be fitted with a hearing aid (a trumpet his ex-wife called it) but that would be only a temporary fix. His profound hearing loss would progress to where he would not here any speech, may be aware of vibrations, will rely on vision rather than hearing as a primary means of communication, also articulation, pitch, and rhythm will likely be poor.
He went on like this for about six months and things were indeed getting worse as predicted. But, strangely enough, his vision seem to be improving. It was probably his biased perception but he made an appointment with an Ophthalmologist just to have it checked out.
After that test he was expecting more bad news but his Ophthalmologist was extremely excited to tell him his results. In his twenty years of medical experience he had never tested any one with better vision. He was aware that it was a scientific fact, and research has confirmed, that people who are losing their hearing have better peripheral vision as some sort of compensation not yet understood. The Doctor informed him he had the highest possible and measurable accurate vision he had seen and it measured 20/8 and only a hawk at 10/2 vision had any better vision than he currently had.
He would accept the trade-off. So if anyone ever asked him If you were forced to give up one sense, but gain super-sensitivity in another, which senses would you choose? Well he really did not get to choose but if he could he would take the Super Sensitive vision he currently had.
For more on this subject see the following:
- Leaf on the spider web | Bright Moments Catcher
- Spoiling for a flight | Musings from a practical mystic
- Agritourism in Russia. Volokonovsky District, Belgorod Oblast | Bright Moments Catcher
- Super Sensitive | Geek Ergo Sum
- Moth (Daily Prompt: Sensitive) | photo potpourri
- Losing Colours | The Ambitious Drifter
- Daily Prompt: Super Sensitive | Under the Monkey Tree
- Daily Prompt: Super Sensitive | Life as a country bumpkin…not a city girl
- Daily Prompt: Super Sensitive « Mama Bear Musings
- Tie-dyed with blood and nerves | alienorajt
- Sense and Sensitivity. | Crossroads
- Unstable senses |
- Super Sensitivity | ??Journey or destination??
- Sensitivity | Mareship
- Upon Learning That I Was Draco Malfoy | Conversations
- Tommy’s Deal With The Devil; Kind Of Funny When You Think About It (short fiction) | The Jittery Goat
- Daily Prompt: Super Sensitive | flow of my soul
- Daily Prompt: Sensitive | Books, Music, Photography & Movies : my best friends
- Daily Prompt: Super Sensitive | My Atheist Blog
- Five Minus One is Six | In Harmony
- Six of one and half dozen of the other « RPMAS
- If I Should Lose My Senses | ~xoxo, msL
- First | Not Enough Poetry
- Sensitive Me… | The Rider
- Daily Prompt: Super Sensitive | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Daily Prompt: Super Sensitive | Notes to Honor Good
- Hearing for Sight | Writing Daily
- Sight Yes, Smell No. Thank You Allergy / Daily Prompt: Super Sensitive | Communication For Development
- S. Thomas Summers | Daily Prompt: Sense the Sensitivity
- Daily Prompt: Super Sensitive | Photos and writings
- Sensible | Tony’s Texts
- Super Sense | Lori’s Life and Other Stuff
- Daily Prompt: Super Sensitive — See like a hawk | SERENDIPITY
- Super Senses, Book and Baby Love and Me | Reinvention of Mama
- What’s that Smell? | Pink Bubbly
- A Matter of Taste | An Upturned Soul
- Daily Prompt: Super Sensitive | Jasper Smits
- Sensitive to Beauty | The Silver Leaf Journal
- The Non and the Common | Eikons
- Daily Prompt: Super Sensitive | The Story of a Guy
- Daily Prompt: Super Sensitive | Sense and Sensibility | Incognito
- Daily Prompt: Super Sensitive | crookedeyebrows
- Daily Prompt: Super Sensitive | Steve Says….
- Ciao To The Five Senses | Kansa Muse on Micro Farming and More
- Daily Prompt: Super Sensitive | not the nest
- Daily Prompt: Super Sensitive | Exploring Utah with MS and Apples
- My Precious Nose | Flowers and Breezes
- Over my dead body | Life is great
- Daily Prompt: Super sensitive : Hands | rosekebab
- Sensitivity; a Super Power…(wp daily prompt) | Daily Observations